About 1,600 Fruit & Vegetable Mandis Functioning; 300 More to Operate from Friday: Agri Ministry Official
The agriculture ministry is in constant touch with state governments in charge of agriculture marketing or wholesale mandi boards to take proactive measures to ensure supply of essential vegetables and fruits is not hit during the lockdown period.
New Delhi: As many as 1,600 wholesale fruit and vegetable mandis have started functioning smoothly and 300 more will operate from Friday after the central government on Thursday stepped in to normalise the supply during the lockdown.
The Union agriculture ministry is in constant touch with state governments in charge of agriculture marketing and APMC (Agriculture Produce Marketing Committee) or wholesale mandi boards to take proactive measures to ensure supply of essential vegetables and fruits is not hit during the lockdown period.
"There were initial resistance but we have persuaded with state government and APMC board to keep mandis open. As a result, 1,600 fruits and vegetable mandis have started functioning smoothly today and 300 more will open tomorrow (Friday)," a senior Agriculture Ministry official told PTI.
Support the daily wage earners who have been hit the hardest by the COVID-19 crisis. Click here to contribute to the cause. #IndiaGives
The daily News18 Coronavirus COVID-19 newsletter - Get your copy here.
Recommended For You
- Ali Fazal Shares Video Addressing Islamophobia with Poem Remembering Muslim Icons
- This Was Our First Thought After We Listened to Tanishk Bagchi's Recreation of 'Masakali'
- Vicky Kaushal, Ananya Panday, Parineeti Chopra Awestruck by Super Pink Moon
- 'Only Uplifting Part was the Staff': Indian Student from UK Who Tested Positive in Mumbai Shares Story
- Sony PlayStation 5 DualSense Controller With Adaptive Triggers is Here