Absconding for Over a Month, Rape Accused BSP MP Surrenders in Varanasi
Rai was contesting the Ghosi Lok Sabha seat and had gone missing in the midst of his campaign after an FIR was lodged against him by a girl student.
BSP MP from Ghosi, Atul Rai.
Varanasi: Newly elected Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) MP Atul Rai, who has been accused of rape, surrendered in a court here on Saturday.
The judicial magistrate (first) remanded Rai in 14-day judicial custody.
An FIR was registered against Rai on May 1 on a complaint by a college student who had alleged that he took her home on the pretext of meeting his wife but sexually assaulted her.
Rai, who has denied the rape allegations, had been on the run since the lodging of the FIR.
The parliamentarian from the Ghosi constituency in Uttar Pradesh was declared absconder by the local court.
The Supreme Court had on May 27 refused to grant Rai protection from arrest in the rape case while noting that 16 other criminal cases were pending against him.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro and gain access to curated markets data, trading recommendations, equity analysis, investment ideas, insights from market gurus and much more. Get Moneycontrol PRO for 1 year at price of 3 months. Use code FREEDOM.
Recommended For You
- Jio Effect: Airtel V-Fiber Offers up to 1000GB Free Data & Plans Start at Rs 799
- India Women's Football Team to Play Two Friendlies Against Uzbekistan
- World Badminton Championships: B Sai Praneeth Enter Quarters, HS Prannoy Loses
- Not Just a Dropped Pin: Spacewalking Scientists Add Parking Spot to International Space Station
- Woman Abandoned by Boyfriend on a Road Trip Assumed She was Being Pranked