After Allahabad, Govt Planning to Rename Shimla to Get Rid of ‘Symbols of British Rule’: Report
The demand to rename Shimla after a local deity gained momentum after the Uttar Pradesh government renamed Allahabad as Prayagraj recently.
New Delhi: The Himachal Pradesh government is considering renaming Shimla to Shyamala, after the demand for changing the state capital’s name gained momentum.
According to a report in Hindustan Times, the right-wing Hindu groups want the state’s name changed as part of efforts to remove “symbols of British rule” as Shimla was known as Shyamala before the British arrived.
The clamour for renaming it after a local deity, Shyamala, picked up storm after the Uttar Pradesh government renamed Allahabad as Prayagraj. The Vishva Hindu Parishad (VHP), Antarrashtriya Hindu Parishad and Health Minister Vipin Parmar are in the favour of name change.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Dabangg 3: Salman Khan Introduces Saiee Manjrekar with A Quirky Caption
- PUBG Mobile: Erangel 2.0 Arriving in December, Glass Windows and New Items Leaked
- Disha Patani Shares Insta Story Featuring Tiger Shroff, Captions it 'Bhai Bhai'
- Here's All About Indian Army Sourced Nissan Jonga SUV Bought by MS Dhoni
- NBA 2K20 Gameplay Will Unlock Limited Edition Nike Sneakers That You Can Buy