'Against Basic Structure of Constitution': Jamiat Ulema-e-Hind to Challenge Citizenship Bill in SC
Terming the passing of the Bill in Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha a 'tragedy', Jamiat-Ulema-e-Hind president Maulana Arshad Madani said the bill is against the basic structure of the Indian Constitution.
Protest were seen across the country against Citizenship Bill. (Image : PTI)
New Delhi: Asserting that the Citizenship (Amendment) Bill is against the basic structure of the Constitution, the Jamiat Ulema-e-Hind on Wednesday said it will challenge the legislation in the Supreme Court.
Its reaction came minutes after the Rajya Sabha passed the Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, 2019. The Bill was passed by Lok Sabha on Monday. Terming the passing of the Bill in Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha a "tragedy", Jamiat-Ulema-e-Hind president Maulana Arshad Madani said the bill is against the basic structure of the Indian Constitution and the Jamiat will challenge it in Supreme Court.
Madani said that the Jamiat will challenge it in the court because the legislature has not done its job honestly. "Now the judiciary can make a better decision on it. Advocates have been consulted in this regard and a petition is being drafted," he said in a statement.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- This is Why Keerthy Suresh is No Longer a Part of Ajay Devgn's Maidaan
- Apple Acquires Xnor.ai, an Edge-based AI Startup, for $200 Million
- Sony a6400 Review: This is Simply Great, Whether You Need it For Photos or Videos
- A Month After Seelampur-Jaffrabad Violence, Women Claim the Streets to Protest Against CAA
- ATK and Mohun Bagan Merger is Complete: RPSG Group Acquires Majority Stake in Mohun Bagan