Ahead of Xi's Visit to Chennai, 10-member Gang Hurls Crude Bomb at Woman, Son
Authorities went into a tizzy following the incident as the city and nearby coastal town of Mamallapuram is under a thick security blanket in view of the visit of Chinese President Xi Jinping on Friday.
Chennai: A ten-member gang hurled a country bomb and attacked a 50-year-old woman and her son who were leaving a Chennai court on Thursday, triggering tense moments with people running helter-skelter.
Authorities went into a tizzy following the incident as the city and nearby coastal town of Mamallapuram is under a thick security blanket in view of the visit of Chinese President Xi Jinping for his second informal meet with Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday.
Mamallapuram is hosting the summit. According to police, the gang hurled the crude bomb at the woman and her son who had come to court in connection with a case and were leaving the premises.
"The target was the son. The woman was also attacked using sharp-edged weapons. A team has been formed to trace the gangsters," an official said.
The woman and her son have been admitted to the Rajiv Gandhi Government Hospital, police said.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Big Little Lies Actor Zoe Kravitz Joins Robert Pattinson's The Batman as Catwoman
- Creating New Cop Image for Salman Khan's Eid 2020 Film a Challenge, Says Prabhudheva
- After Darbar Shoot, Rajinikanth off to Himalayas with Daughter Aishwarya
- Here's How WhatsApp Dark Mode, Self-Destructing Messages Will Work
- All-New BMW 3-Series Test Drive Review: Performance in the Lap of Luxury