Aircel-Maxis case: Enforcement Directorate chargesheets Maran brothers
New Delhi: Former Telecom Minister Dayanidhi Maran, his brother Kalanithi Maran and four others were on Friday chargesheeted by the Enforcement Directorate in the Special 2G court in connection with a money laundering case lodged in the Aircel-Maxis deal.
ED, in its charge sheet filed before Special Judge OP Saini, named as accused the Maran brothers, Kalanithi's wife Kavery Maran and three others, including two companies.
The court has fixed the charge sheet for consideration on January 18 and asked the agency to place before it the entire set of documents relating to the case.
The ED had on April 1, 2015 attached the assets, estimated at Rs 742.05 crore, held by Dayanidhi Maran, Sun Group Chief Kalanithi Maran and Kavery in the case.
Earlier, the CBI in August 2014 had chargesheeted Maran brothers, Malaysian business tycoon T Ananda Krishnan, Malaysian national Augustus Ralph Marshall and four companies -- Sun Direct TV Pvt Ltd, Maxis Communication Berhad, South Asia Entertainment Holding Ltd and Astro All Asia Network PLC -- in the case.
CBI had earlier alleged in the court that Dayanidhi Maran had "pressured" and "forced" Chennai-based telecom promoter C Sivasankaran to sell his stakes in Aircel and two subsidiary firms to Malaysian firm Maxis Group in 2006.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Boy Helps Parents Recreate 28-Year-Old Beach Photo of Them in Same Spot, Wins Internet
- Bigg Boss 13: Fans Love Shehnaz Gill, Rashami Desai Singing Illegal Weapon, Watch Video
- Bigg Boss 13 Day 119 Written Updates: Salman Khan Evicts Shefali Jariwala, Sidharth Shukla Wins Elite Membership
- Republic Day 2020: 2,471 People Take 'Plank Challenge' In Mumbai, Create Guinness World Record
- PUBG Mobile: Exclusive Maserati Ghibli Skin For Dacia Spotted