Ambedkar Statue Vandalised in Andhra Pradesh Ahead of 'Mahaparinirvan Diwas'
The nose and ears of the bust installed in the areas found broken, a day ahead of the Dalit icon's 62nd Mahaparinirvan Diwas.
Members of Dalit community display a portrait of Bhim Rao Ambedkar during a protest march (File photo)
New Delhi: A statue of B R Ambedkar was allegedly vandalised by unidentified people in Andhra Pradesh's Pedagantyada area, triggering protests in the region. The incident took place a day ahead of the Dalit icon's 62nd Mahaparinirvan Diwas
According to news agency ANI, the nose and ears of the bust installed in the area was found broken on Wednesday, following which members of regional political parties and followers of Ambedkar gathered to protest.
This is not the first time that such an incident has occurred. Statues of Ambedkar were recently found vandalised in Haryana's Ambala and Uttar Pradesh's Lucknow. In March, the statues had been damaged in Meerut, Budayun, Saharanpur, Firozabad, and Bulandshahr.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Jon Snow Actor Kit Harington Hasn’t Watched Game of Thrones Season 8
- Sacramento Kings vs Indiana Pacers: The NBA Game That May Bring Donald Trump to India Next Month
- Sonakshi Sinha Replies to People Trolling Her For Not Answering KBC Ramayan Question
- Investors and Stock Holders are Celebrating Corporate Tax Cut News, With Memes
- 'Bhindi,' Coconut, 'Hing' and Raw Turmeric: Chefs Reveal Their Most Hated Ingredients