Amid LoC Tension, Arun Jaitley, Army Chief to Review Security in Srinagar
This would be Jaitley's first visit to the state after he took over the additional charge from Manohar Parrikar.
File photo of Finance Minister Arun Jaitley/PTI Photo
Srinagar: Defence Minister Arun Jaitley and Army Chief General Bipin Rawat will arrive in Jammu and Kashmir on Wednesday to review the security situation amid heightened tension on the Line of Control (LoC) and student unrest in the valley.
The Defence Minister advanced his visit by a day since he was otherwise scheduled to chair the two-day long Goods and Services Tax (GST) council meeting beginning in Srinagar on Thursday.
During his visit to the LoC, Jaitley would meet the field commanders.
Sources here said the ongoing students' unrest fanning separatist sentiments in the valley would also remain in focus.
"The impact of an unrest on the overall security situation cannot be wished away. Therefore, the visit will also focus on ways and means to help the civil administration bring the situation under control," a top official told IANS.
Recommended For You
- Cyber Terrorism: Teen Gets Two Years Jail For Accessing CIA Head's Email Account
- IPL 2018: Rajasthan Aim to Return to Winning Ways Against Mumbai
- 2018 Volkswagen Polo GTI, Golf GTI & Up GTI Driven: What's So Special about These Performance Cars?
- Calvin Harris, Madonna, Alia Bhatt and Others Mourn DJ Avicii's Sudden Demise
- Beyond The Clouds Movie Review: A Bittersweet Drama That Runs But Never Flies