Amid rampant oxygen and medicine shortages, India on Thursday recorded another grim record of covid-19 infections. Experts claim that mutations of the virus that causes Covid-19 are to blame for the catastrophe and the country is confronting one of the most aggressive waves of the pandemic witnessed anywhere in the world.
– India on Thursday clocked 3,14,835 fresh infection cases, 2104 new deaths, 8,841 discharges in the last 24 hours. This pushed the total caseload to 1,59,30,965 infections and 1,84,657 deaths.
– The tally is the highest single-day rise reported anywhere in the world. According to USCDC the highest for the USA was +3,13,310 on January 8, 2021.
– This is also the highest single-day rise in deaths across India.
– Amidst the country’s worst-affected states- Maharashtra reported 67.5k new cases, Uttar Pradesh 33.1k, Delhi 24.6k and Karnataka 23.6k. Meanwhile, the deaths for these states were Maharashtra- 568, Delhi- 249 and Chhattisgarh- 193.
– In an attempt to bring down the spiralling Covid-19 infections, the Maharashtra government imposed several new restrictions including a ban on inter-city and inter-district travel and curbs on office attendance.
– Chhattisgarh reported dip in active cases -2937 along with Delhi -211 and Andaman & Nicobar Islands -9 cases.
– As of April 21, 27,27,05,103 samples were tested for Covid-19. Of these, 16,51,711 samples were tested yesterday, stated the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR). The test positivity rate stood at 19%.
– Test positivity rate: Goa 36.73%, Chhattisgarh 31.73%, Delhi 31.28%, Maharashtra 24.74%
– While, 12 states, UTs reported more than 10,000 new cases, 5 states/UTs reported more than 20,000 cases. And seven states, UTs report more than 100 new deaths.
– On the vaccination front, 22.11 lakh people were inoculated, 13.23 crore total vaccinations. 11.31 crore have received only the first dose and 1.91 crore both doses.