Andhra Pradesh CM Chandrababu Naidu Gets HC Relief in Cash For Vote Case
In a relief to Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu, the Hyderabad High Court on Friday dismissed a complaint filed by an YSR Congress MLA seeking investigation into his alleged role in the cash-for-vote case.
File photo of Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Chandrababu Naidu. (Reuters)
Hyderabad: In a relief to Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu, the Hyderabad High Court on Friday dismissed a complaint filed by an YSR Congress MLA seeking investigation into his alleged role in the cash-for-vote case.
The court allowed Naidu's plea seeking relief and dismissed the complaint filed by Ramakrishna Reddy on the ground that the latter had no locus standi to file such an application.
The MLA's counsel P Sudhakar Reddy said he had filed a private complaint in an ACB court making Naidu an accused in the cash-for-vote issue.
The ACB court had ordered probe by ACB over alleged involvement of Naidu who sought relief in the High Court.
Naidu had got a temporary relief in the High Court, but it was challenged by the MLA in the Supreme Court. The apex court referred the matter to the High Court. The MLA's counsel said they will pursue legal options against Naidu.
The so-called cash-for-vote pertains to allegations against TDP MLA A Revant Reddy and others that they tried to bribe a nominated MLA in MLC polls. Naidu had accused the TRS Government in Telangana of illegally tapping phones.
In May 2015, nominated MLA in Telangana Assembly Elvis Stephenson lodged a complaint alleging that he was offered Rs 5 crore by TDP MLA Revanth Reddy to vote for TDP nominee in the election to the Telangana Legislative Council on June 1. On May 31, ACB arrested Revanth Reddy, Bishop Sebastian Harry and Rudra Udaya Simha when they were allegedly handing over an advance sum of Rs 50 lakh to Stephenson.
A charge sheet filed by the ACB on July 28 last year mentioned TDP chief Naidu's name, but not as an accused. An audio tape of Naidu's purported conversation with Stephenson over phone on May 30, a day before the ACB arrested Revanth, had found its way to the media.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Was Alexander Zverev Using His Phone During ATP Finals Loss to Stefanos Tsitsipas? Player Denies
- Ponting Backs Burns' Return to Australia Test Squad
- Rishi Kapoor's Throwback Picture Sharing Coca-Cola with His Siblings is Absolutely Adorable
- Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch Launched With a New Keyboard, Price Starts at Rs 1,99,900
- IQAir Health Pro 250 Review: Can You Really Put a Price on Clean Air at Home?