Take the pledge to vote

For a better tommorow#AajSawaroApnaKal
  • I agree to receive emails from News18

  • I promise to vote in this year's elections no matter what the odds are.
  • Please check above checkbox.

    SUBMIT

Thank you for
taking the pledge

Vote responsibly as each vote counts
and makes a diffrence

Disclaimer:

Issued in public interest by HDFC Life. HDFC Life Insurance Company Limited (Formerly HDFC Standard Life Insurance Company Limited) (“HDFC Life”). CIN: L65110MH2000PLC128245, IRDAI Reg. No. 101 . The name/letters "HDFC" in the name/logo of the company belongs to Housing Development Finance Corporation Limited ("HDFC Limited") and is used by HDFC Life under an agreement entered into with HDFC Limited. ARN EU/04/19/13618
LIVE TV DownloadNews18 App
News18 English
News18 » India
1-min read

Andhra Pradesh Govt to Soon Ban Single-use Plastic, Green Tax to be Imposed

Chief minister Jaganmohan Reddy has asked the officials to study various methods used by other countries to preserve the environment and control the pollution

Syed Ahmed | News18

Updated:September 26, 2019, 8:34 PM IST
facebookTwitterskypewhatsapp
Andhra Pradesh Govt to Soon Ban Single-use Plastic, Green Tax to be Imposed
Image : Reuters

Amaravati: The Andhra Pradesh government is set to impose a ban on single-use plastic, apart from imposing green tax to keep the pollution levels in check.

The decision was taken by chief minister Jaganmohan Reddy after a review meeting with the forest and environment department on Thursday.

“About one lakh tonnes of waste is being generated from pharma companies. But only 30 percent of it is being refined. The remaining 70 percent is dumped in the open which pollutes the environment,” Reddy said.

He directed the officials to prepare a proposal within one month to promote protection of environment and prevention of pollution. “How will our future generations survive if we do not protect our environment and nature? Our state should be inspiring to the nation,” he said.

To go forward in this direction, he asked the officials to study various methods used by other countries to preserve the environment and control the pollution, while green taxes will be collected and single-use plastic banned.

The Centre and the state governments have identified a few hatchery zones and industries cannot be established in those specific zones.

“Even after the central and state governments announced the hatchery zones, I do not understand how permission has been given for pharma companies in the zone,” the CM said.

Taking a serious view of the pollution levels in Visakhapatnam, Reddy said, “The pollution levels in Visakhapatnam are very high. They should be controlled immediately or else there will be consequences.”

Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.

Read full article
Next Story
Next Story

Also Watch

facebookTwitterskypewhatsapp

Live TV

Countdown To Elections Results
To Assembly Elections 2018 Results