Anti-CAA Protests: Delhi Court Grants Bail to Two in Connection with Seelampur Violence
Advocates Zakir Raza and Abdul Gaffar, the counsels for the accused, said their clients were falsely implicated in the case. They said the due were arrested from their house and not from the site of protest and nothing has been recovered from their possession so far.
File photo of violence during an anti-CAA protest in Seelampur, Delhi.
New Delhi: A Delhi court Friday granted bail to two people arrested in connection with violent protests against the Citizenship (Amendment) Act in northeast Delhi's Seelampur area, saying no useful purpose will be served by keeping them in custody.
Additional Sessions Judge Lalit Kumar granted the relief to Danish and Islam on furnishing a bail bond of Rs 15,000 each and a surety of a like amount.
"Considering the circumstances coupled with the fact that the accused were in judicial custody since December last year, they were no more required for further custodial interrogation and co-accused were already enlarged on bail.
"Therefore, no useful purpose would be served by keeping the accused in custody. Hence, case for release of bail is made out," the court said.
It added that accused should scrupulously appear at each and every stage of the proceedings before the court so as not to cause any obstruction or delay in its progress.
They should not engage in any criminal activity, the court said, adding that the accused should not influence any witness or tamper with the evidence in the case.
The additional public prosecutor, appearing for the police, opposed the bail applications on the ground that the accused were actively involved in hurling stones at police personnel, damaging vehicles and government property, setting a police booth and vehicles on fire.
He further submitted that the investigation was at an initial stage and hence, the accused should not be granted bail.
The investigating officer, however, had told the court that both the accused were no more required for further custodial interrogation. Advocates Zakir Raza and Abdul Gaffar, the counsels for the accused, said their clients were falsely implicated in the case.
The counsel told the court that they were arrested from their house and not from the site of protest and nothing has been recovered from their possession so far.
A magistrate's court had in December sent 16 people to 14-day judicial custody in connection with the case. Fourteen persons were granted bail earlier by a sessions court earlier.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Ananya Panday Welcomes Vijay Deverakonda to Bollywood, Shares Prep Photos for Puri Jagannadh Film
- Bad News! TikTok is Getting a Family Mode: Parents Can Set Time Limits And Disable DMs
- Kiara Advani, Bhumi Pednekar's Pics from Dabboo Ratnani's Calendar Go Viral, Fans Pray for Ajith Kumar's Recovery
- Bigg Boss 13 a Hit on Digital Platform: Sidhath Shukla Most Tweeted Celeb Followed by Asim Riaz
- Allu Arjun Song Botta Bomma is a TikTok Blockbuster