Army Jawan Dies After Falling Into Gorge in Jammu & Kashmir's Gurez Sector After Avalanche
Sepoy Karnail Singh, 22, had joined the Army in 2018. He belonged to Changer Tarsooh village in Himachal Pradesh and is survived by his parents.
Srinagar: An army jawan died after he fell into a deep gorge following an avalanche in Gurez sector along the Line of Control in Jammu and Kashmir, said the army on Thursday. "Sepoy Karnail Singh, 22, was deployed on the forward post in Gurez sector. On February 26, owing to sudden snow avalanche, he fell into a deep gorge," an army official said. He said Singh was rescued and evacuated to 92 Base Hospital in Srinagar, where he succumbed.
The army on Thursday paid tributes to Singh at the Badami Bagh Cantonment. "LtGen K J S Dhillon, GOC Chinar Corps and all ranks paid homage on behalf of the nation," the official said. Singh had joined the Army in 2018. He belonged to Changer Tarsooh village in Himachal Pradesh and is survived by his parents.
His mortal remains were taken for the last rites to his native place, where he would be laid to rest with full military honours, the official said. "In this hour of grief, the army stands in solidarity with the bereaved family and remains committed to their dignity and wellbeing," he said.
Support the daily wage earners who have been hit the hardest by the COVID-19 crisis. Click here to contribute to the cause. #IndiaGives
The daily News18 Coronavirus COVID-19 newsletter - Get your copy here.
Recommended For You
- Kartik Aaryan Celebrates Sister's Birthday, Seeks Gifts from Arjun and Ekta Kapoor
- Sunil Grover Shares Video from Kapil Sharma Show, Says it Makes Him Emotional
- Jasmin Bhasin Clears Air Over Relationship Rumours With Punit Pathak
- Apple iPhone 9 Launch Likely Pegged for April 15, Sale May Kick Off on April 22
- Candy Crush Saga Has Unlimited Lives as a Free Surprise For You This Week