As Cyclone 'Maha' Looms, 3-Day School & College Holiday in Maharashtra's Palghar
The fishermen who are out in the sea have been asked to return or take shelter in nearest ports.
Image for representation. (Image: PTI)
Thane: Schools and colleges in coastal Palghar district of Maharashtra will remain closed from November 6 to 8 in view of warning of heavy rain due to cyclone `Maha'.
Fishermen in Palghar and neighbouring Thane districts have also been asked not to venture into the sea, officials said.
Palghar district collector Kailas Shinde has ordered closure of schools and colleges for three days, said chief of the district disaster management cell Vivekananda Kadam on Tuesday.
Chief secretary of Maharashtra Ajoy Mehta had reviewed the situation in the region on Monday. Fishermen from Thane and Palghar districts have been asked not to venture into the sea for the next three-four days, said an official release.
The fishermen who are out in the sea have been asked to return or take shelter in nearest ports. Villages near the coast have been placed on high alert, the release added.
According to the Met department, parts of the coastal Konkan, central Maharashtra and Marthawada are likely to receive rains due to severe cyclonic storm Maha which is expected to make landfall on the Gujarat coast on November 7.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- 77-Year-Old Man Fighting off Robber on Street is the Most Badass Thing You'll Watch Today
- Bad News! TikTok is Getting a Family Mode: Parents Can Set Time Limits And Disable DMs
- Larry Tesler, the Apple Computer Scientist Behind 'Cut, Copy, Paste' Passes Away
- 3D-Printed Jaw Gives Cancer Survivor from Faridabad a New Lease on Life
- Google May Move Data of UK Users Out of EU As Post Brexit Data Privacy Rules Remain Unclear