Assam Flood Situation Improving; 1.22 Lakh People Affected, Death Toll Climbs to 90
Nearly 88,000 people remain affected by the deluge in 10 of the 33 districts of the state, according to ASDMA. Till Saturday, around 1.22 lakh people were affected in the 10 flood-battered districts.
Villagers cross flood waters on a makeshift tube raft in Jhargaon, Assam. (Image: AP)
Guwahati: Flood in Assam claimed one more life on Sunday, pushing the toll to 90, even as the overall situation improved considerably.
Nearly 88,000 people remain affected by the deluge in 10 of the 33 districts of the state, according to the Assam State Disaster Management Authority (ASDMA).
Till Saturday, around 1.22 lakh people were affected in the 10 flood-battered districts.
The fresh casualty was reported from Gogamukh in Dhemaji district, the ASDMA said.
Barpeta is the worst-hit district with 46,000 people being affected, it said.
The Brahmaputra was flowing above the danger mark at Nimatighat in Jorhat, the Dikhow at Sivasagar town, the Desang at Nanglamuraghat in Sivasagar, the Dhansiri at Numaligarh in Golaghat and the Kushiyara at Karimganj town.
Currently, 147 villages are under water and 16,890.50 hectares of crop areas have been damaged, the ASDMA said.
At present, 25 relief camps and distribution centres are operational in six districts with 3,247 inmates, it said.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Anushka Sharma Hails 'Crusader' Sunitha Krishnan for Helping Sex Trafficking Victims
- Amitabh Bachchan Expresses Displeasure on Illness Rumours, Says 'All is Not in the World For Sale'
- Rafael Nadal Gets Married to His Partner of 14 Years Xisco Perello
- Disha Patani and Tiger Shroff Add Star Power to ISL 2019-20 Opening Ceremony
- Sorry Pixel 4 But iPhone Users Can Get Free Unlimited Storage on Google Photos