Father Drowns Son With Birth Defect After Failing to Arrange Money for Treatment, Kills Self
The police said that the father of the infant failed to arrange money for the surgery to cure his son. The operation was supposed to be held later this month.
Jalpaiguri: A tea garden labourer allegedly drowned his infant son, who was born with a complex birth defect called imperforate anus, and then hanged himself in Jalpaiguri district, police said on Monday.
Imperforate anus is a birth defect that arises due to malformation of the rectum. The opening to the anus is missing or blocked and therefore the baby cannot pass stool normally.
It is suspected that 35-year-old Pandit Orao, a resident of Barogharia village in Mal block, failed to arrange money for a surgery to cure his son. The operation was supposed to be held later this month, police said.
Orao took his son to a nearby pond on Sunday evening, drowned him there and hanged himself from a tree beside the waterbody. His wife was in the kitchen at that time, police said.
The boy's parents were worried because of the child's disease - he used to pass stool through an opening above the navel.
Police said the two bodies were sent for post-mortem examination.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Tom Hiddleston Reveals Chris Hemsworth Punched Him While Filming The Avengers
- Area 51 Raid: Here's How Many People Turned Up, and What Really Happened
- Deepak Punia Books Tokyo Olympics Quota After Entering Semis at World Wrestling Championships
- OnePlus 7 Pro, OnePlus 7 Get OxygenOS 10 Based on Android 10 Update
- Photos Show How Greta Thunberg's Supporters Grew from Two, to Millions In Just a Year