Bhim Army chief Chandrashekhar Azad was on Monday arrested by police after protesting at Safdarjung Hospital where a 19-year-old Dalit girl from Uttar Pradesh’s Hathras died days after being gangraped. Azad and his supporters protested demanding the culprits be sentenced to death. The Dalit woman succumbed to her injuries Tuesday morning.
Security has been increased outside the hospital, where Congress and Bhim Army workers are holding a protest demanding justice for Hathras gang-rape victim. There were heated arguments between and the protestors and police personnel outside the hospital.
At the protest, the Bhim Army chief said, “I appeal to all members of the Dalit community to take to the streets and demand death penalty for the guilty. The government should not test our patience. We won’t rest until the culprits are hanged.” Azad had earlier demanded that the Uttar Pradesh government shift the woman to AIIMS for better treatment.
“The state government is equally responsible for the death of our sister,” he alleged. The woman was gang-raped a fortnight ago. The accused had tried to strangle her to death as she resisted their rape attempt and in the process, she had also ended up biting her tongue and suffering a severe cut on it. The four accused have been arrested.
She was admitted to Aligarh Muslim University’s Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College and Hospital and shifted to Safdarjung Hospital here on Monday.
VHP demands death sentence for culprits
The Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) also demanded the death sentence for the culprits in the gang-rape of a Dalit young woman in Hathras in Uttar Pradesh after she died in a Delhi hospital earlier in the day.
Dubbing the crime “shocking”, the VHP said: “It is a blot on humanity and shameful for all of us. We demand death sentence for the guilty.”
The VHP also demanded compensation and security to the 19-year-old victim’s family. It said that it must be ensured that such crimes did not occur in the future.
Protesting Delhi Mahila Congress Workers Detained
Members of the Delhi Mahila Congress staged a protest at Vijay Chowk here on Tuesday demanding justice for the Hathras gang-rape victim, who died at a hospital this morning, following which they were detained by police. Congress Rajya Sabha member P L Punia and former MP Udit Raj also joined the protest which was led by Delhi Mahila Congress president Amrita Dhawan.
The protesters were taken to Mandir Marg police station, a senior police officer said. The Delhi Mahila Congress members demanded that the culprits in the Hathras gang rape case be hanged.
Dhawan said the Mahila Congress members were trying to march towards the Rashtrapati Bhavan to demand justice for the victim when the police detained them. Punia and Raj were also detained by the police, she said.
NCW Assures Assistance to Victim’s Family
The National Commission for Women (NCW) said it has assured all possible assistance to the family of a woman. In a video message, NCW Chairperson Rekha Sharma said the commission had sought an action taken report from the Uttar Pradesh Police on the matter and it was told that four accused have been nabbed and charges were framed against them and compensation was also given to the victim.
She said the commission has reached out to the brother of the victim and has assured him of all possible assistance. “An NCW member is going to meet the brother of the victim and we will help the family in whatever way we can,” Sharma said.
Eminent Personalities express anger over victim’s death
* Congress leader Rahul Gandhi attacked the government over the incident, saying the “class-specific jungle raj” of UP has killed another young woman. Priyanka Gandhi Vadra also hit out at the Yogi Adityanath government, alleging there is “no semblance of security” for women in the state.
* Congress leader Sachin Pilot said the Uttar Pradesh government should fulfil its duty by ensuring that justice is done immediately in the Hathras gang-rape case. There is no place in society for heinous crimes like rape and criminals, he said. “Words aren’t enough to condemn the heinous crime that happened with a daughter in Uttar Pradesh’s Hathras. Heinous crimes like rape and criminals have no place in society,” Pilot said in a tweet in Hindi.
* Samajwadi Party supremo Akhilesh Yadav condoled the death of the gangrape victim, and said “no hope” is left from the “insensitive government”. “A dalit daughter, who was victim of gangrape and brutality ultimately died. I condole her death. No hope is left with present insensitive government,” Yadav said in a tweet in Hindi.
* Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal termed the death of Hathras gangrape victim a matter of shame for the country as well as for the governments and demanded the hanging of the guilty. “The death of Hathras victim is shameful for the entire society, country as well as for all the governments. It’s highly sad that so many daughters are being sexually assaulted and we have not been able to protect them. The guilty must be hanged at the earliest,” Kejriwal tweeted in Hindi.
* Bollywood actors Akshay Kumar, Farhan Akhtar and Abhishek Bachchan among others said they were disgusted and ashamed after the 19-year-old Dalit died at Safdarjung Hospital, days after being gangraped and tortured.
* India cricket captain Virat Kohli hoped that justice would be done to the Hathras gangrape victim, who died of her injuries in Delhi, saying that the incident “goes beyond cruelty”.