Bill to Provide ST Status to 6 Communities in Assam Soon, Says Rajnath Singh
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh, while speaking on the Citizenship Amendment Bill, said the Union Cabinet has approved the proposal and a bill to this affect will be brought soon.
File photo of Home Minister Rajnath Singh. (PTI)
New Delhi: A bill to declare six communities in Assam as scheduled tribes will be introduced in Parliament
soon, Home Minister Rajnath Singh told the Lok Sabha on Tuesday.
The minister, while speaking on the Citizenship Amendment Bill, said the Union Cabinet has approved the proposal and a
bill to this affect will be brought soon.
The communities that are proposed to be extended ST status include, Koch Rajbongshi, Tai Ahom, Chutiya, Matak, Moran and the states's 36 tea tribes, he said.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Gautam Kumar Jha Becomes Third Crorepati on KBC, Quits at Rs 7 Crore Question
- Parth Samthaan, Erica Fernandes Party with Ekta Kapoor, See Pics
- Pakistani Man Unleashes Pet Lion on Electrician to Avoid Paying Him
- Akshay Kumar Asks Housefull 4 Cast to Sell Tea on Train, Watch Who Does Best
- Truecaller Makes a Big Privacy Pitch as Focus on Instant Messaging Intensifies