Kerala Nun Rape Case: Bishop Franco Mulakkal's Bail Extended till January 6
The bishop was present in the additional sessions court during the hearing, where he arrived after praying in a nearby church.
File photo of Bishop Franco Mulakkal (PTI)
Thiruvananthapuram: A Kerala court on Saturday extended till January 6 the bail granted to former Jalandhar bishop Franco Mulakkal, accused of sexually abusing a nun between 2014 and 2016.
Franco was present at the additional sessions court during the hearing, where he arrived after praying in a nearby church. Mulakkal had reached St. Antony's church Kottayam along with some priests and devotees around 9 am today where he prayed before proceeding to court.
Mulakkal was arrested on September 21 last year on charges of rape and got bail on October 16 last year.
The Kerala Police has already filed a 1,400-page chargesheet in the court against him. The trial is expected to start from January 6.
The chargesheet names 83 witnesses, including the Cardinal of the Syro-Malabar Catholic Church, Mar George Alencherry, three bishops, 11 priests and many nuns.
After the case came to light, Mulakkal was removed as head of the diocese of Jalandhar.
(With inputs from agencies)
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Jumanji The Next Level Movie Review: Laugh and Cry with Dwayne Johnson and Team
- Akshay Kumar Pleases Twinkle Khanna by Gifting Her Pair of ‘Onion Earrings’ from Kapil Sharma Show
- ISL 2019-20: NorthEast United FC vs Chennaiyin FC in Guwahati Postponed Due to CAB Protests
- Peeling Back the Days: The Year of the Onion – An Autobiography
- You Can Now Buy a Baby Yoda Toy for Rs 21,000, But Here's the Catch