BJP Activist Shot Dead in Bhatpara as Post-Poll Violence Continues to Keep Bengal on Edge
The victim, identified as Chandan Sau, was shot at close range by four men who came on two motorbikes and obstructed his path when he was returning home.
Kolkata: A 36-year-old BJP activist was shot dead in Bhatpara area of North 24 Parganas district on Sunday night, a day after post-poll clashes erupted across West Bengal.
As per initial information, the victim, identified as Chandan Sau of Choushotti Pally locality, was shot at close range by four men who came on two motorbikes and obstructed Sau’s path when he was returning home at 10:30pm.
Sau was rushed to the Bhatpara state general hospital where he was declared brought dead.
The assailants are yet to be identified.
Bengal has witnessed large-scale violence, in which one person was killed, as a face-off brews between the ruling Trinamool Congress and a surging BJP after the Lok Sabha results were declared.
The Barrackpore incident is also the second such attack on a BJP worker in as many days. On Saturday, a close aide of newly-elected Amethi MP Smriti Irani was shot dead by two unidentified men around 25 km from the Amethi district headquarters.
Recommended For You
- Kim Kardashian Shares Her New Line of Shapewear Called Kimono, Faces Backlash for Cultural Appropriation
- New Age Social Media Apps, and a Shocking Problem of Borderline Sexual Content
- Shah Rukh Khan Rides BMW Motorcycle, Gives Safety Message to Fans - Watch Video
- Watch: Sleeping Man Doesn't Even Wake Up as a Snake is Rescued from His Kurta
- RBI Committee Recommendations For KYC on Google Duo or Apple FaceTime Could See Larger Implementation
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s