BJP Corporator, Family Members Shot Dead at Home by Gunmen in Maharashtra
The incident took place late Sunday night when BJP corporator Ravindra Kharat (55) and his family members were inside their residence, police said.
Mumbai: A BJP corporator and four of his family members were on Sunday shot dead at his residence in Maharastra's Jalgaon district by three gunmen, police said.
The incident took place late Sunday night when BJP corporator Ravindra Kharat (55) and his family members were inside their residence, police said. "The shooters with country made pistol and knife entered the leader's home and sprayed bullets on him and his family members," a senior police officer said.
"After firing all the assailants fled the spot but later surrendered themselves at the police station," he said, adding that the weapons used to commit the crime have been recovered.
All the injured were rushed to the hospitals nearby, but declared dead during treatment. Apart from Kharat, the other deceased have been identified as his brother Sunil (56), sons Premsagar (26) and Rohit (25) and one more person named as Gajare, the officer said, adding that the exact reason behind the killing is yet to be ascertained.
An offence of murder has been registered at Bajarpeth police station and interrogation of the accused is going on, he said.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Twitter Has Taken Down Some Pro-Mike Bloomberg Profiles Because They Were Spamming Everyone
- Shibani Dandekar Shares Loved up Pic with Farhan Akhtar to Mark 2 Years of Dating
- US Law Aimed to Curb Spread of Child Porn May Kill Encryption on Apps Like WhatsApp
- MGM Hotels Sued Over Data Breach that Affected Millions of Celebs, CEOs
- Ahead of Festival, Indian-American Entrepreneur Launches 'Holi Ghee' to Pay Homage to Desi Sweets