BJP Leader Shot Dead by Bike-Borne Assailants in UP's Deoband, Tensions Spark Up the Area
As soon as the news of the murder, which took place at Talhedi Khurd near the village, spread, huge crowds gathered in the village and tension was palpable.
Saharanpur (Uttar Pradesh): BJP leader Chaudhary Yashpal Singh was shot dead on Tuesday by bike-borne unidentified assailants near his home village in Deoband area of Uttar Pradesh's Saharanpur district.
Singh was the former district Vice President of BJP Kisan Morcha and his elder brother Chaudhary Shiv Kumar is the headman of their home village of Miragpur.
As soon as the news of the murder, which took place at Talhedi Khurd near the village, spread, huge crowds gathered in the village and tension was palpable. SSP Dinesh Kumar said that efforts were on to arrest the assailants at the earliest.
"We have sought the help of Muzaffarnagar and Uttarakhand Police to nab the accused. Several teams have been formed and the forest areas are also being combed," he said.
Circle officer Chob Singh Varma said that the murder was being investigated on several theories.
"Additional forces have been called in to keep the situation under control," he said. Local BJP leaders have reached the spot of the incident.
Family members said that the deceased had no enmity with anyone in the area.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Facebook Libra is Official, Even Though a Lot of The High Profile Partners Have Left
- Big Little Lies Actor Zoe Kravitz Joins Robert Pattinson's The Batman as Catwoman
- 'Respect Culture': Woman Arrested for Wearing Bikini That Was Too 'Revealing'
- Why Dyson Air Purifiers Are Smarter Than Most: Better Filters And Smarter Testing
- 15-year-old Coco Gauff Beat Jelena Ostapenko to Win First WTA Title at Linz