0/288 Seats ((145 Seats to Win)
|Wins + Leads||133||31||31||18||13|
Cabinet Approves Bill for Banning Unregulated Deposit Schemes
The proposed legislation will have adequate provisions for punishment and disgorgement/ repayment of deposits in cases where such schemes nonetheless manage to raise deposits illegally, a statement by the ministry said.
Representative image. (Photo credit: Pixabay)
New Delhi: The Union Cabinet Wednesday approved Banning of Unregulated Deposit Schemes Bill with an aim to tackle the menace of illicit deposit- taking activities in the country.
The bill will replace the Banning of Unregulated Deposit Schemes Ordinance, 2019.
Talking to reporters after the Cabinet meeting, Information and Broadcasting Minister Prakash Javadekar said people are suffering due to chit fund scams.
"The bill will help tackle the menace of illicit deposit taking activities in the country, which at present are exploiting regulatory gaps and lack of strict administrative measures to dupe poor and gullible people of their hard earned money," an official release said.
The proposed legislation will have adequate provisions for punishment and disgorgement/ repayment of deposits in cases where such schemes nonetheless manage to raise deposits illegally, it added.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Bigg Boss 13: Devoleena Bhattacharjee Slaps Shehnaaz Gill During A Task
- BCCI Chief Sourav Ganguly Wore His Team Blazer From 19 Years Ago, Fans Go Gaga Over 'Dada Swag'
- In Pics: Malaika Arora Rings in Her 46th Birthday with Arjun Kapoor, Akshay Kumar, Kareena Kapoor
- Sara Ali Khan's Bikini Pics from Sri Lankan Getaway Are Proof of Beachside Vacay Done Right
- Reliance Jio All-In-One Rs 222 Plan Vs. Airtel Rs 249 And Vodafone Rs 229 Recharge