Calcutta HC Vacates Order Granting Protection from Arrest to Ex-Top Cop in Connection with Saradha Scam
The court also rejected Rajeev Kumar's prayer for quashing of a CBI notice that sought his appearance for questioning in the case.
Image for representation.
Kolkata: The Calcutta High Court on Friday vacated its order granting protection from arrest to former Kolkata Police commissioner Rajeev Kumar in connection with the Saradha chit fund scam.
The court also rejected Kumar's prayer for quashing of a CBI notice that sought his appearance for questioning in the case.
Kumar, who is currently the West Bengal CID Additional Director General, was part of a Special Investigation Team set up by the state government to investigate the scam before the Supreme Court handed over the case to the CBI in 2014, along with other chit fund cases.
The Saradha group of companies has allegedly duped lakhs of people to the tune of Rs 2500 crore, promising higher rates of returns on their investments.
Support the daily wage earners who have been hit the hardest by the COVID-19 crisis. Click here to contribute to the cause. #IndiaGives
The daily News18 Coronavirus COVID-19 newsletter - Get your copy here.
Recommended For You
- Kunal Kamra Asks Maanvi Gagroo to Drop Acting and Do Stand-Up Comedy, Actress Has a Witty Response
- Woman Attends Online Meeting as a 'Potato' after Accidentally Switching on the Snapchat Filter
- This Pic of Reel Life Ram Arun Govil Watching Ramayan With His Family Goes Viral
- 'You'll Wear the Prom Dress Soon': Ellen DeGeneres Has a Message for Fans Caught in Coronavirus Lockdown
- As Coronavirus Crisis Worsens, Thailand's Tourist Elephants Face Starvation