CBI Arrests Income Tax Officer from Bengaluru in Bribery Case
In a search conducted by the agency, an approximate amount of Rs 1.35 crore was recovered from the premises of the arrested.
File photo of CBI headquarters in New Delhi. (PTI)
New Delhi: The CBI has arrested an income tax officer from Bengaluru allegedly for accepting a bribe of Rs 14 lakh from a complainant and was later produced before the court, an official said on Thursday.
According to sources, the officer has been identified as HR Nagesh. Besides Nagesh, the agency has registered a case against another income tax officer on the allegation of demanding a bribe.
"They demanded a bribe of Rs 14 lakh for the favours in the matter of settling the issue pertaining to income tax survey conducted at the office premises of the complainant," said a senior CBI official.
The CBI laid a trap and caught the accused red-handed while accepting the alleged bribe from the complainant for himself and for another income tax officer, an official said.
In a search conducted by the agency, an approximate amount of Rs 1.35 crore was recovered from the premises of the arrested. During the investigation, the agency also recovered several incriminating documents.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Puma Has an Interactive Store Where You Can Also Get Your New Shoes Customized
- 'Down to Earth': Justin Bieber Fell Off a Unicycle and Internet Had a Great Laugh
- Watch: Ducklings Enjoy Makeshift Water Slide Leaving Netizens Amused
- 'Respect Culture': Woman Arrested for Wearing Bikini That Was Too 'Revealing'
- WhatsApp Has Some New Features For iPhone Users And You Can Use Them Now