CBI Detected 894 Shell Companies in Four Years, Filed Cases Against 104
Some of the shell companies and persons were involved in more than one case and of the 108 cases, chargesheets were filed and trial was going on in 72.
File photo of CBI headquarters in New Delhi. (PTI)
New Delhi: The CBI detected 894 shell companies while probing 108 cases in the last four years, the government told Parliament on Monday.
The agency also registered 30 cases against 104 shell companies during the period, the House was told.
Replying to a written question in the Lok Sabha, Minister of Corporate Affairs Nirmala Sitharaman said, "The CBI registered 30 cases against 104 shell companies during the last four years i.e 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018. Further, during the investigation of 108 cases, 894 shell companies were detected, wherein irregularities such as falsification of financial statements, bank fraud, diversion of funds, impersonation, cheating, abuse of official position, criminal conspiracy, criminal misconduct etc. were found."
Some of the shell companies and persons were involved in more than one case, she added.
According to the data presented by the minister, of the 108 cases, chargesheets were filed and trial was going on in 72.
Of the 30 cases filed against 104 shell companies, chargesheets were filed in 24, Sitharaman said.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Football in Snow: Watch Real Kashmir FC Players Practice for I-League in Srinagar
- Kasautii Zindagii Kay's Sonyaa Ayodhya Marries Harsh Samorre, Erica Fernandes, Harsh Rajput in Attendance
- Anurag Kashyap on Citizenship Amendment Bill: We have Voted for it, We Should Keep Getting it
- Akshay Kumar Pleases Twinkle Khanna by Gifting Her Pair of ‘Onion Earrings’ from Kapil Sharma Show
- Tata Motors Offers Year-End Discounts Worth Rs 1 Lakh