Take the pledge to vote

For a better tommorow#AajSawaroApnaKal
  • I agree to receive emails from News18

  • I promise to vote in this year's elections no matter what the odds are.
  • Please check above checkbox.

    SUBMIT

Thank you for
taking the pledge

Vote responsibly as each vote counts
and makes a diffrence

Disclaimer:

Issued in public interest by HDFC Life. HDFC Life Insurance Company Limited (Formerly HDFC Standard Life Insurance Company Limited) (“HDFC Life”). CIN: L65110MH2000PLC128245, IRDAI Reg. No. 101 . The name/letters "HDFC" in the name/logo of the company belongs to Housing Development Finance Corporation Limited ("HDFC Limited") and is used by HDFC Life under an agreement entered into with HDFC Limited. ARN EU/04/19/13618
LIVE TV DownloadNews18 App
News18 English
News18 » India
1-min read

Fire at Bhagirath Palace in Chandni Chowk doused

The blaze erupted at Bhagirath Palace market at around 5.10 pm and 22 fire tenders were immediately rushed to the spot.

CNN-IBN

Updated:December 13, 2012, 6:34 PM IST
facebookTwitter Pocket whatsapp
Fire at Bhagirath Palace in Chandni Chowk doused
The blaze erupted at Bhagirath Palace market at around 5.10 pm and 22 fire tenders were immediately rushed to the spot.

New Delhi: A major fire, which broke out in a godown at an electrical market in central Delhi's congested Chandni Chowk area on Thursday evening, has been doused. The blaze erupted at Bhagirath Palace market at around 5.10 pm and 22 fire tenders were immediately rushed to the spot.

Bhagirath Palace is a hub of electrical and electronic shops in Old Delhi. A short circuit is suspected to be responsible for the fire.

There was no immediate report of any casualty or injury in the blaze, fire brigade officials said. Delhi Fire Services Director AK Sharma said they have no information about anyone being trapped inside the building. He refused to speculate on the cause of the fire.

Rescue workers evacuated people and barricaded the area to ensure smooth fire-fighting operations. However, congested lanes in the locality hindered fire fighters. "The fire broke out in a godown of electrical items. It is a 200 square yard godown. There were lot of inflammable plastic and PVC material. The structure is depleted due to age. It might have developed cracks. There is all the possibility that the structure may collapse.

"We are not able to enter the building as there is a huge fire and there is a fear that the building may collapse. We are trying to prevent the fire from spreading," Sharma said.

Power supply to the area has been snapped as a precaution. Taj Hassan, Joint Commissioner of Police (Central), said the fire was brought under control within 30 minutes and there was "no cause for worry" as the response of the fire brigade was "very good".

(With additional information from PTI)

Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.

Read full article
Next Story
Next Story

facebookTwitter Pocket whatsapp

Live TV

Countdown To Elections Results
To Assembly Elections 2018 Results