Take the pledge to vote

For a better tommorow#AajSawaroApnaKal
  • I agree to receive emails from News18

  • I promise to vote in this year's elections no matter what the odds are.
  • Please check above checkbox.

    SUBMIT

Thank you for
taking the pledge

Vote responsibly as each vote counts
and makes a diffrence

Disclaimer:

Issued in public interest by HDFC Life. HDFC Life Insurance Company Limited (Formerly HDFC Standard Life Insurance Company Limited) (“HDFC Life”). CIN: L65110MH2000PLC128245, IRDAI Reg. No. 101 . The name/letters "HDFC" in the name/logo of the company belongs to Housing Development Finance Corporation Limited ("HDFC Limited") and is used by HDFC Life under an agreement entered into with HDFC Limited. ARN EU/04/19/13618
Associate PartnerAssociate Partner
LIVE TV DownloadNews18 App
News18 English
News18 » India
1-min read

Chhattisgarh HC Stays Congress Govt's Decision to Raise OBC Quota to 27%

Petitions were filed challenging the move to enhance reservation for OBCs from 14 per cent to 27 and SCs from 12 per cent to 13 per cent, which took the overall quota to 82 per cent.

PTI

Updated:October 4, 2019, 11:38 PM IST
facebookTwitterskypewhatsapp
Chhattisgarh HC Stays Congress Govt's Decision to Raise OBC Quota to 27%
Representative image.

Bilaspur: The Chhattisgarh High Court on Friday stayed the Bhupesh Baghel-led Congress government's decision to enhance the OBC quota in educational institutions and government jobs from 14 per cent to 27 per cent.

The division bench of Chhattisgarh High Court Chief Justice PR Ramchandra Menon and Justice PP Sahu, which had reserved its order on October 1, delivered the judgement on Friday.

The state government had recently increased the reservation for the Other Backward Classes (OBC) and the Scheduled Castes (SC) in government jobs and education. However, petitions were filed challenging the government's move, which took the overall quota to 82 per cent.

Chhattisgarh Advocate General Satish Chandra Verma said as per the revision, the state government provided 13 per cent reservation for SCs, 27 per cent for OBCs, while

the Scheduled Tribes (STs) continued to get 32 per cent quota as earlier.

In addition to this total 72 per cent reservation, the 10 per cent quota for the economically weaker sections (EWS) took the overall reservation to 82 per cent. Verma said that in its order on Friday, the division bench stayed the government's decision of enhancing the OBC quota to 27 per cent.

During his Independence Day speech this year, the chief minister had announced enhancing reservation for OBCs from 14 per cent to 27 and SCs from 12 per cent to 13 per cent.

Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.

Read full article
Next Story
Next Story

Also Watch

facebookTwitterskypewhatsapp

Live TV

Countdown To Elections Results
To Assembly Elections 2018 Results