China Has 3 Conditions on Solving Doklam Issue, Says Diplomat
New Delhi-based Chinese diplomat Li Fan says the ball is now in India's court to resolve the Doklam standoff.
National flags of India (left) and China. (Image for representation only)
New Delhi-based Chinese diplomat Li Fan told Hong Kong's Phoenix TV that the ball is now in India's court to reduce tensions in the border area.
"Only in a peaceful settlement can we maintain peace and tranquility in the border areas. Now, the ball is on the Indian side. In the end, what way to solve… depends on the Indian side," Fan was quoted as saying.
The diplomat listed the three conditions from the Chinese side. They are:
1. Unconditional withdrawal of the Indian side, which is the premise and basis for any meaningful dialogue between the two sides.
2. Settle the issue peacefully.
3. Maintain peace and tranquility in the border areas.
The Indian troops intervened on June 16 on behalf of Bhutan to stop the road construction by the Chinese. China and India have been engaged in the standoff in the Doklam area near the Bhutan tri-junction for the past three weeks after a Chinese Army's construction party attempted to build a road.
Doka La is the Indian name for the region which Bhutan recognises as Dokalam, while China claims it as part of its Donglang region.
India argues that since it is a tri-junction involving the three countries, it also has a say in the issue, specially in the backdrop of 2012 agreement between Special Representatives of the two countries, that have till now held 19 rounds of talks.
Bhutan, which does not have diplomatic ties with China, deals with Beijing through its Embassy in New Delhi. As a close friend and neighbour, Bhutan enjoys diplomatic and military support from India.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro and gain access to curated markets data, trading recommendations, equity analysis, investment ideas, insights from market gurus and much more. Get Moneycontrol PRO for 1 year at price of 3 months. Use code FREEDOM.
Recommended For You
- Sophie Turner Dances Arm in Arm with Priyanka Chopra's Mother at Jonas Brothers Concert
- Ira Khan Shares Romantic Pic With Boyfriend Mishaal, But Her Caption Spark Concern Among Netizens
- PV Sindhu Overcomes Tai Tzu Ying to Reach World Badminton Championships Semi-finals
- Sai Praneeth Guarantees 1st Men's Singles World Championships Medal Since 1983
- First Details of The OnePlus TV Confirmed: It Will Have a 55-Inch QLED Panel