Clashes Erupt in Kolkata over Citizenship Bill after BJP Workers Stop Congress's Dengue Rally
The Congress rally, which was set to culminate at the TMC-run KMC headquarters in Esplanade but, were stopped midway by BJP activists, who were celebrating the passage of the Citizenship Bill.
Kolkata: Clashes broke out between the BJP and the Congress workers in the city, with activists of both sides hurling abuses and exchanging blows over the
emotive issue of Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, which has been passed by both Houses of Parliament.
According to police sources, the West Bengal unit of the Congress had taken out a rally to protest against the rising number of dengue cases in the city. The rally, which was set to culminate at the TMC-run KMC headquarters in Esplanade area, was, however, stopped midway, on the Central Avenue, by the BJP activists, who were celebrating the passage of the Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, the sources said.
A scuffle ensued between the members of the two parties, following which a huge police contingent had to be rushed to the spot to control the situation, they added.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- The Curious Case of BJP's Tajinder Singh Bagga, Twitter 'Troll' Who Could be Future Neta
- Rangoli Chandel Thanks Kangana Ranaut for Supporting Her During Acid-attack Incident
- Bigg Boss 13: Sara Ali Khan Greets Salman Khan with Aadaab and Internet is Loving it
- This is The End of The Road For Vodafone m-Pesa as a Payments App
- Udaipur Man Names his Son 'Congress', Hopes His Son Will Join the Party in the Future