Congo Fever Death Toll Rises to Three in Gujarat, Preventive Measures Being Taken
Deputy CM Nitin Patel said that of the three, two women from Surendranagar district died earlier this week while another woman succumbed to the infection late on Tuesday night in Gandhinagar.
File photo of Gujarat deputy chief minister Nitin Patel. (Twitter: @Nitinbhai_Patel)
Ahmedabad: Three women from Gujarat have fallen victims to Congo Fever in one week while as many new cases have come to light, the state government said on Wednesday.
Of the three, two women from Surendranagar district died earlier this week while another woman succumbed to the infection late on Tuesday night, said deputy Chief Minister Nitin Patel in Gandhinagar.
The latest deceased hailed from Bhavnagar district.
"A total of three women have died due to Congo fever, which spreads through ticks in humans. Three new cases were also reported till now. Among the three, a woman is currently undergoing treatment at civil hospital in Ahmedabad while two male patients are admitted to SVP hospital," he said.
Health Commissioner Jayanti Ravi said since cattle-rearers are more susceptible to the Crimean-Congo Hemorrhagic Fever (CCHF) virus, which is responsible for the infection, preventive measures are being taken.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Amit Panghal Becomes 1st Indian Man to Reach World Boxing Championships Final
- Do Not Worry, Your Mi TV Will Get Netflix And Amazon Prime Video Apps This Year
- Huge Hairball Surgically Removed from Teenager’s Stomach By Ludhiana Doctors
- After Amitabh Bachchan, Akshay Kumar Accused of Supporting Aarey Forest Destruction
- Hours After Decomposed Body Found at Nagarjuna's Telangana Farmhouse, Police Hint at Case of Suicide