Congress Will Give Special Category Status to Andhra if Voted to Power, Promises Rahul
Assuring that his party would also launch a 'surgical strike' on poverty, Rahul Gandhi said Nyay, his promise of a minimum income scheme, was a 'non-violent weapon' that will be used to uplift the poorest.
File photo of Congress president Rahul Gandhi.
Vijaywada: Congress President Rahul Gandhi on Sunday promised to provide special category status to Andhra Pradesh, if the party was voted to power in coming Lok Sabha elections, and expressed surprise that parties in the state failed to 'aggressively' push the issue.
Assuring that his party would also launch a 'surgical strike' on poverty, the Congress chief said Nyay, his promise of a minimum income scheme, was a "non-violent weapon" that will be used to uplift the poorest.
Addressing his first election rally here in the state, which goes to simultaneous assembly and Lok Sabha polls, Gandhi said while the previous Congress-led UPA had created poverty eradication schemes, Prime Minister "Narendra Modi dismantled everything."
"He destroyed the pillars of MGNREGA and Food Security Act," the Congress chief said in his over 30 minute speech.
Terming his proposed minimum income scheme 'Nyay' as historic, he said it was the party's "non-violent weapon" against poverty.
Gandhi, whose party is contesting the polls in Andhra Pradesh alone, said while Modi did "surgical strikes against the poor" his party will carry it out against poverty.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Deepika Padukone Opens About Why She Did Not Live with Ranveer Singh Before Marriage
- From Slam Poets to 'Eco-Feminists', BBC's 100 Most Influential Women 2019 List Has 7 Indians
- Hina Khan Slams People for Comparing Her and New 'Komolika' Aamna Sharif as Ekta Kapoor Weighs In
- FASTag Will Soon be Mandatory For Your Car: This is How The Digital Payment Tag Works
- There is a Strong Medical Case For Using Masks And Air Purifiers Against Pollution