Nearly 2,000 Samples Collected during Serological Survey in Delhi | Amid initial hiccups related to coordination and logistics, the 15-day serological survey continued in some parts of the national capital for the second consecutive day on Sunday with 1,947 samples collected. As part of the survey, blood samples of 20,000 people will be tested to ascertain the presence of anti-bodies, the Union health ministry has said.
A woman reacts as a medical worker takes a swab from her to test for coronavirus. REUTERS/Amit Dave
Meanwhile, the United States has surpassed 2.5 million coronavirus cases, a tracker maintained by Johns Hopkins University showed, as the world's hardest-hit country grappled with a surge of infections in several states. There were 2,500,419 confirmed cases in the US, according to the Baltimore-based university as of 5:30pm. The country also recorded 43,121 new infections in 24 hours, concluding a week with the most newly reported cases since the start of the pandemic. With an additional 502 deaths recorded Saturday, the US has now seen 125,480 fatalities related to COVID-19, or approximately one-fourth the world total of over 495,000. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and Nevada on Saturday reported new records in daily cases.
Florida notched 9,585 cases in 24 hours as infections there spike, after the state's rapid reopening saw young adults flocking to beaches, boardwalks and bars. More than half of US states, particularly in the South and West, are seeing increases in COVID-19 cases -- a dramatic setback to efforts to reopen and salvage badly battered economies. Texas and Florida, which both have Republican governors who resisted prolonged lockdowns, have announced new restrictions on bars.
Recommended For You
- Prabhas 20 First Look Reveals it is an Intense Romantic Film Titled 'Radhe Shyam'
- Arvind Kejriwal Praises NZ Vlogger Who Donated Plasma in Delhi: 'Karl, You Rock'
- Xiaomi Announces Temporary Price Cut of Redmi K20 Pro Till July 13: Check Latest Price Here
- 'Wasn't He Crying?': Karan Johar Trolled Again, This Time for Attending Neetu Kapoor's Birthday Party
- Horseshoe Crab Blood is a Key Element for Covid-19 Vaccine, But Marine Life Will be at Risk