Suspected Covid patient jumps to death | A suspected coronavirus patient allegedly committed suicide by jumping off the third floor of a private hospital here on Thursday evening, a police officer said. Police said the deceased took the extreme step apparently out of fear of contracting the deadly disease, he said.
- Virus clouding US & China trade deal
- Covid detected in B'desh rohingya camp
- 'US claims of vaccine theft slanderous'
- Defence Min patents Navy's low cost PPE
- 4 undertake arduous journey to home
- Workers protest, demand buses to go home
- 167 go missing from Haridwar-bound Train
- Maha eyeing lockdown extension till May 31
- Japan lifts state of emergency in most areas
File photo of PM Narendra Modi meeting Bill Gates (Image: @narendramodi / Twitter)
The death toll due to Covid-19 rose to 2,549 and the number of cases climbed to 78,003 on Thursday, registering an increase of 134 deaths and 3,722 cases in the last 24 hours since Wednesday 8 am, according to the Union Health Ministry.
The number of active COVID-19 cases stood at 49,219 while 26,234 people have recovered and one patient has migrated, it said.
"Thus, around 33.63 per cent patients have recovered so far," a senior health ministry official said.
Eight migrant workers were killed and more than 40 injured in MP’s Guna when the truck they were travelling in collided with a bus late last night. The labourers were on their way to UP from Maharashtra. All the injured have been admitted to hospitals. In yet another tragedy, this time in UP, 6 migrant workers on their way to Bihar were crushed to death and a few more were injured.
Migrant workers walking home amid the coronavirus lockdown have been involved in several accident across the country. Last week, 16 migrant workers were killed after a train ran over them while they were sleeping on the tracks in Maharashtra's Aurangabad.
In a bid to ferry more migrants, the Railways this week decided to carry around 1,700 passengers on board its 'Shramik Special' trains instead of the current 1,200.
According to an order issued, the railway zones have also been asked to provide three stoppages in the destination state other than the final stop, at the request of the state governments.
It also said that the train capacity should be equal to the number of sleeper berths on the train. The 'Shramik Special' trains have 24 coaches with a capacity to carry 72 passengers in each coach.
The novel coronavirus has infected over 43 lakh people worldwide and led to more than 2,90,000 deaths.
The United States recorded 1,813 coronavirus deaths in the past 24 hours, bringing the total to 84,059, according to the latest real-time tally Wednesday reported by Johns Hopkins University.
The country -- hardest hit by the pandemic in terms of the number of fatalities -- has now confirmed a total of 1,389,935 cases, the Baltimore-based school reported.
Recommended For You
- Ananya Panday and Ishaan Khatter Exchange Flirty Messages on Social Media, Take a Look
- Fans React to Hardik-Natasa's Surprise Wedding and Pregnancy Announcement with Memes
- Netflix Responds after Censored Images of Pork from 'Vikings' go Viral on Twitter
- Gambhir and Afridi Should Catch Up Somewhere, Act Sensibly on Social Media: Waqar Younis
- Mohammad Shami’s Wife Hasin Jahan Shares Revealing Photo of the Cricketer on Instagram