Court Grants Divorce to Man for 'Mental Cruelty' After Wife Sends SMS Accusing Him of Adultery
The court ruled on the husband’s appeal that the incident amounts to 'mental cruelty' for which the appellant deserves a decree of divorce.
Image for representation.
New Delhi: The Punjab and Haryana High Court has granted a divorce to a man whose wife resorted to fake messages and character assassination. The objectionable message, which was sent through their son, said he was living with another woman in the US and also had a child.
The court ruled on the husband’s appeal that the incident amounts to “mental cruelty”. The Bench was also told by the husband that the wife allegedly started treating him with cruelty “as she refused to cook meals and forced him to live separately from his parents”, Tribune India reported.
“This kind of SMS which attacked the character of the appellant-husband also constitutes the ingredient of mental cruelty for which the appellant deserves a decree of divorce,” the Bench of Justice Rakesh Kumar Jain and Justice Harnaresh Singh Gill said, challenging the judgment and decree passed in May 2013 by a Sonepat family court.
The couple solemnised in February 1997 and was blessed with a child.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro and gain access to curated markets data, trading recommendations, equity analysis, investment ideas, insights from market gurus and much more. Get Moneycontrol PRO for 1 year at price of 3 months. Use code FREEDOM.
Recommended For You
- Gulzar, Poonam Dhillon Attend Khayyam's Prayer Meet; Kapil Sharma Accused of Disrespecting Women
- Nick Jonas Signalling I Love You to Priyanka Chopra is the Gold Standard for Romance
- Xiaomi Redmi K20 Review: Is There Nothing Missing in This Brilliant Android Phone?
- Camera That Clicked San Francisco’s Fog Enveloped Golden Gate Bridge is Shutting Down
- Alia Bhatt-Ranbir Kapoor, Varun Dhawan-Natasha Dalal's Weddings to Have This in Common