Crackdown on Forceful Collection of Donation During Festive Season in Odisha, 13 Arrested
The festive season in Odisha begins with Ganesh Chaturthi and continues till Kartikeswar Puja.
Image for representation.
Bhubaneswar: The Odisha Police has arrested at least 13 persons as part of a drive against forceful collection of donation (chanda) during festive season, a senior officer said.
DGP BK Sharma has issued strict instructions to all superintendents of police and deputy commissioners to deal with the illegal practice "with an iron hand", he said. The festive season in Odisha begins with Ganesh
Chaturthi and continues till Kartikeswar Puja.
Five cases of forceful donations have been registered so far and 13 arrested in this connection, the senior police officer said.
Noting that anti-socials and mischief-mongers create disturbances during festivities, the officer said common people, transport operators and business establishments are the ones who suffer the most.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Aamir Khan's Daughter Ira Khan Shares Saturday Night Expectation vs Reality Post
- Watch: Zoo Shares First Glimpse of Kiki, a Baby Red Panda
- Maruti Suzuki S-Presso Mini SUV Officially Teased Ahead of September 30 Launch: Watch Video
- Area 51 Raid: Here's How Many People Turned Up, and What Really Happened
- Sony Bravia A9G OLED Master Series Review: The TV to Buy If You Are Rich Enough