Crop Destroyed by Rains, Debt-ridden Farmer Commits Suicide in MP
Locals also alleged that the farmer was harassed by the money lenders for recovery of their loans.
Image for representation.
A debt-ridden farmer, who was unable to repay his loans, ended his life in Madhya Pradesh’s Raisen district early on Wednesday. The incident took place in Saikhedi village in Raisen’s Silwani block.
The family of the deceased farmer Tulsiram Sahu said he owned four acres of land and had secured loan worth several lakhs from local money lenders but could not repay them as heavy rains had destroyed his crops. Locals also alleged that the farmer was harassed by the money lenders for recovery of their loans.
Hassled by the pressure, Sahu allegedly hanged himself to death on Tuesday night. Police recovered a suicide note but did not divulge the reason behind the extreme step.
The Madhya Pradesh government has proposed over Rs 6,000 crore as flood relief and has forwarded the proposal to the Centre. The BJP and ruling Congress are locked in a bitter war of words over the delay in flood relief from the Centre.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Realme X2 Pro With 64-Megapixel Quad Camera, Snapdragon 855+ Launched at Rs 29,999
- I-League 2019-20 Fixtures Announced: Full List of Matches
- Parth Samthaan Denies Dating Erica Fernandes, Says 'Not Aware of These Rumours'
- He's Back! Twitter Filled With Jokes, Memes and Banter as Jose Mourinho is Named New Tottenham Hotspur Manager
- You Can Now Own an Original Picasso Painting For Less Than Rs 8,000