Curfew Enforced In Some Parts of Srinagar
Authorities on clamped curfew in 11 police station areas of Srinagar as a precautionary measure in view of the eighth day of Muhurram
A representative image. (PTI)
Srinagar: Authorities on clamped curfew in 11 police station areas of Srinagar as a precautionary measure in view of the eighth day of Muhurram.
A police official said the police station areas in which the curbs on the movement of people have been imposed are Nowhatta, Khanyar, Rainawari, Safakadal, Maharaj Gunj, Maisuma, Ram Munshi Bagh, Kralkhud, Shaheed Gunj, Karan Nagar and Batamaloo.
The official said the curbs were imposed as a precautionary measure to maintain law and order.
The traditional Muharram procession used to pass through these areas, but have been banned since eruption of militancy in 1990 as authorities maintain that the religious gathering has been used for propagating separatist politics.
Meanwhile, normal life remained affected for the 94th consecutive day in the rest of the Valley following killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani in an encounter with security forces on July 8.
The unrest, which has claimed 84 lives including that of two cops and left thousands of others injured in clashes between protestors and security forces, is in its fourth month as shops, business establishments, petrol pumps and educational institutions remained closed, while public transport continued to be off the roads.
Recommended For You
- All Variants of The Apple iPhone XR Get Completely Sold Out on Day One of Amazon Prime Day Sale
- Amazon Prime Day Sale: The Echo Show 5 Goes on Sale For Rs 5,399 And This May be Its Lowest Price Ever
- Ashwin Captures Broad's Euphoric Reaction During Last Over
- Nikolaj Coster-Waldau Thinks it's Silly to Criticise Game of Thrones Creators Over Show's Ending
- Tom Holland's Spider-Man Far From Home Earns Rs 73.16 Crores in 11 Days