Curfew Imposed in Rajasthan's Malpura Following Communal Tension as Miscreants Threw Stones at Dussehra Procession
The police said the curfew was imposed in view of the tension and internet mobile services were also stopped to prevent rumour mongering.
Jaipur: Curfew was imposed in Rajasthan's Malpura town of Tonk district on Wednesday after some miscreants pelted stones at a Dussehra procession last night, triggering communal tension in the area.
SP Tonk Adarsh Siddhu said the curfew was imposed in view of the tension and internet mobile services were also stopped to prevent rumour mongering.
"We have arrested one person and detained a few others. Efforts to identify other accused are being made," he said.
Upset over the incident, BJP MLA Kanhaiya Lal and other leaders staged a dharna in front of the Malpura police station demanding arrest of the accused and removal of the Malpura SDM.
"The dharna was called off when officials assured us proper action. Ravana's effigy could not be burnt last night and personnel of municipality burnt the effigy amid tight security at 4 am on Wednesday and the curfew was imposed," the BJP MLA said.
Lal alleged that there was no adequate security arrangement when the Dussehra procession was being taken out.
"Such incidents have occurred in the area in the past also but this time, the district administration and police were not alert," he claimed.
SHO of Malpura police station Dalpat Singh said some of the accused who have been identified are minors.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Manchester United vs Liverpool: Adam Lallana Scores Late to Salvage 1-1 Draw for Liverpool
- Ranveer Singh's Super Romantic Reply to Deepika Padukone's Comment on His Photo is Winning Hearts
- Bigg Boss 13 Day 20 Written Update: Rashami Desai, Mahira Sharma and Asim Riaz Declared Safe
- Reliance Jio Diwali Offer: Here's How to Gift a JioPhone This Festive Season For Rs 699
- Sorry Pixel 4 But iPhone Users Can Get Free Unlimited Storage on Google Photos