Curfew in Parts of Srinagar to Prevent Post-Prayer Protests
Authorities on Friday imposed curfew in some parts of Srinagar city to prevent post-prayer protests.
Representative Image: File photo of a street in Srinagar (PTI)
Srinagar: Authorities on Friday imposed curfew in some parts of Srinagar city to prevent post-prayer protests.
The police said curfew has been imposed in old city Nowhatta area while restrictions would remain in force in other parts to maintain law and order.
Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, chairman of moderate Hurriyat group has announced that he would defy restrictions to offer Friday prayers at the Jamia Masjid in Nowhatta.
Mirwaiz has been placed under house arrest in his uptown Nigeen residence in the outskirts of Srinagar.
For the 112th consecutive day, life across the valley remained paralysed due to the separatist called protest shutdown which is now extended till November 3.
All educational institutions including schools, colleges and universities have remained closed.
After the authorities announced holding of exams on schedule, over a dozen schools across the were gutted.
Main markets, public transport and other businesses have also remained close during this period.
Ninety-one people have been killed and over 12,000 injured since the present unrest began here on July 9, a day after Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani was killed.
Recommended For You
- I Hope I Can Get Gold: PV Sindhu Doesn't Want to Miss Opportunity After Reaching 1st Final of 2019
- Ranbir Kapoor, Deepika Padukone to Star in Luv Ranjan's Next? These Pictures Say So
- How NASA Astronauts Were Treated to Hero's Welcome on Return to Earth
- Gabriella Demetriades Shares Adorable Pic of Arjun Rampal Holding Their Newborn Son, See Here
- PUBG Mobile: Here are Top Five Features Added With Season 8