: Cyclone Vardah, categorised as very severe, made landfall near Chennai on Monday afternoon, killing at least four people.
“The landfall was at Pulicat (Tamil Nadu) followed by strong winds,” said RK Pachnanda, DG, NDRF.
Dec 12, 2016 22:38 (IST)
Chennai Airport to remain shut till Monday Midnight.
Dec 12, 2016 20:33 (IST)
Government aided, private schools, colleges & other educational institutions in Chennai, Kanchipuram & Tiruvallur to remain closed on Tuesday
Dec 12, 2016 19:25 (IST)
IndiGo offers Refund:
* This is to notify that between December 12th to December 13th, 2016, IndiGo is offering a refund for those passengers affected too and from Chennai due to severe weather conditions.
They are waiving off change fee for those who wish to reschedule/edit their itinerary.
* Along with that they are ready and will be providing refreshments to those passengers stranded at the airport.
* We currently only have 70 IndiGo passengers at the airport as we had taken corrective measures well in advance.
* There has been no reported damage to equipment or aircraft till now.
* We are constantly assessing the situation and will extend the relief to affected passengers till required.
Dec 12, 2016 18:02 (IST)
Chennai airport is shut till 9 pm. Next call will be taken after inspection at 9 PM
Dec 12, 2016 17:47 (IST)
Home Minister Rajnath Singh speaks to Tamil Nadu CM, offers more help from the Centre. Central agencies are monitoring situation on real time basis
Dec 12, 2016 17:37 (IST)
Visibility across Chennai airport has improved. There are chances of things coming back on track soon
Dec 12, 2016 17:35 (IST)
Mahesh Palwat, Chief Meteorologist, SKYMET ON cyclone Vardah to CNN-News18: Most likely in next 3-4 hours rainfall will stop.
Dec 12, 2016 17:15 (IST)
Cyclone 'Vardah' is set to pass through south Goa on Wednesday, which will lead to rise in temperature and light rains in the state from Tuesday onwards, an official said.
Dec 12, 2016 17:09 (IST)
Sri Lankan Airlines said all its Chennai-bound flights were cancelled till Tuesday morning after authorities issued a red alert due to severe cyclonic storm "Vardah" which made a landfall in Tamil Nadu.
Dec 12, 2016 17:03 (IST)
Very severe cyclonic storm 'VARDAH' is crossing over northern part of Chennai city.
Dec 12, 2016 16:56 (IST)
Air India tweets: Chennai Airport closed down till 1730 hrs due to bad weather conditions. Will resume operations post 1730 hrs.
Dec 12, 2016 15:19 (IST)
Human loss is 2... 260 trees and 37 electric poles have fallen and 190 trees removed: K Satyagopal, Principal Secretary (Revenue Administration), TN
Dec 12, 2016 14:32 (IST)
Emergency response teams are on Standby with a very high level of preparedness.
MET department is closely coordinating with Response teams through whatsapp group.