Dalit Man's Shop Torched over Inter-caste Marriage in Madhya Pradesh, Seven Arrested
A 21-year-old Dalit man and a 19-year-old woman, both residents of a village in Betul district, got married recently despite opposition from the woman's family, police said.
Betul: Tension prevailed at a village in Madhya Pradesh's Betul district after a Dalit man's shop was set on fire following his marriage with a woman from Other Backward Class (OBC) community, police said on Saturday.
Seven people were arrested under the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act and prohibitory orders were imposed at Bisnur village, an official said.
A case under the SC-ST Act was registered against a total of 23 people, said Superintendent of Police Karthikeyan K.
A 21-year-old Dalit man and a 19-year-old woman, both residents of the village, got married recently despite opposition from the woman's family, he said.
Some of her relatives were allegedly harassing the couple, and on Friday night the man's shop was set on fire, leading to tension in the village, the SP said.
Karthikeyan and District Collector Tejasvi Nayak met both the families, appealing for peace, he said. A police team has been deployed in the village and the situation was under control, the SP added.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- My Comment on Saif Ali Khan has been Misinterpreted, Says Kangana Ranaut
- Saif Ali Khan Opens up on Divorce with Amrita Singh and Its Impact on Sara, Ibrahim
- Microsoft Accidentally Exposed Data of 250 Million Users; Why Aren't We Shocked Anymore?
- WhatsApp Users, Dark Mode is Finally Rolling Out With Beta For Android: Here is How to Use it
- FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup Will Inspire Young Girls to Take up Football: Tournament Director Roma Khanna