Dalits Protest After Temple Priest Refuses Water to Sanitation Workers in UP
The workers were cleaning a drain outside the temple when the priest refused to allow them to take water from a handpump inside and closed the door.
Representative Image. (Photo Credit: Reuters)
Muzaffarnagar (UP): Several Dalits have staged a protest after some sanitation workers were allegedly not allowed to drink water from a temple in Uttar Pradesh's Shamli district, police said on Sunday.
The workers were cleaning a drain outside the temple in Thana Bhawan town on Saturday.
The priest refused to allow them to take water from a handpump inside the temple and closed the door, an officer said.
Several people belonging to the Valmiki caste staged a protest and demanded registration of an FIR against the priest. Police reached the spot and pacified the crowd by assuring an investigation, the officer said.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro and gain access to curated markets data, trading recommendations, equity analysis, investment ideas, insights from market gurus and much more. Get Moneycontrol PRO for 1 year at price of 3 months. Use code FREEDOM.
Recommended For You
- Anushka Sharma Recalls Dancing to Preity Zinta's Song Bumbro from Mission Kashmir in School
- Saina Nehwal, Kidambi Srikanth Post Contrasting Wins at World Badminton Championships
- OnePlus TV Will be Launched in India in September; Expected to Run Android TV
- Youtuber Finds GoPro Camera Containing Final Moments of Teenager Who Drowned
- Maruti Suzuki XL6 to Launch Today, Watch it Live Here [Video]