Dangling Live High-Voltage Wire Touches Pond in Assam, Six Fishermen Killed
Villagers had informed the electricity department early morning about the wire being loose but they were told that the wire was dead.
Rupohi: At least six fishermen were electrocuted and as many injured when a live high-voltage wire touched the water of a pond in Nagaon district of Assam Friday, police said.
The incident happened in Rupohi area under Juria police station when the 11,000-volt power line, hanging loose over the pond, touched the water.
Villagers had informed the electricity department around 5 am about the wire being loose but they were told that the wire was dead, police said quoting the residents.
After an hour the fishermen went into the pond, the wire was activated leading to the electrocution, the villagers said.
The injured were rushed to the civil hospital in Nagaon, police said.
Armed with sticks, irate villagers went to the residence of the electricity department official's house and damaged his car, police said.
State Power Minister Kesab Gogoi is headed to the site on the instruction of Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal, official sources said.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Akshay Kumar Trolled for Seven-year-old Comments, Sonakshi Sinha Defends Him
- Indian Tourist from Maharashtra Detained in Bhutan for 'Desecrating' Holy Buddhist Chorten
- Amitabh Bachchan Was Never Hospitalised, Say Kaun Banega Crorepati Sources
- 'This is a Joke Right?' Trump Wrote a Bizarre Letter to Turkey and Twitter Had a Lot of Memes
- 'Only Lionel Messi' Thread on Twitter Proves Why He is the Best in Football