Pakistani-American terrorist and 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks convict David Headley on Friday told a special court that Lashkar-e-Toiba was unhappy that Mumbai airport was not selected and included as one of the targets in attack.
Headley, who deposed before a Mumbai court via video conferencing from an undisclosed location in the US, has disclosed the relationship between the Pakistan's Inter-State Intelligence (ISI) service and LeT. He also named the people behind the terror strike in Mumbai from November 26-28, 2008 in which 166 people were killed.
Here is what David Headley revealed:
- LeT was unhappy that Mumbai airport was not selected and included as one of the targets in 26/11 terror attack.
- LeT leader Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi emphasised that surveillance for 26/11 attacks should be done properly as this was a chance "to take revenge for all bomb blasts India had done in the past" in Pakistan.
- Chabad House was selected by LeT as a target as it was an international location where Jewish and Israeli people were staying.
- Had purchased red and yellow sacred threads from Siddhivinayak temple as a cover for the 10 attackers so that people would think they were Hindus.
- LeT's Major Iqbal had asked him to recruit some employees of BARC in future who would work for ISI. Headley says that he had visited and videographed BARC in July 2008.
- Discouraged LeT from selecting Siddhivinayak temple and Naval air station for the strike as then the 10 attackers would have to concentrate on those targets only.
- Was interested in developing close relations with a Shiv Sena member as he thought that LeT would be interested in future to either attack Sena Bhawan or assassinate its head.
- Had finalised Badhwar Park in Cuffe Parade as a landing site for the 10 attackers, as the area is covered with shanties and hutments from the main road, and hence he thought it would give tactical advantage to the terrorists.
- On November 28, 2008 Headley received an email from a Shuzi whom he confirmed was his wife Shazia. On his email account Shazia had written 'Congratulations on your graduation. The ceremony was great'. Headley told court he is not a graduate. His wife was congratulating him, crediting him for the Mumbai attacks
- When showed Ajmal Kasab's photo in court, Headley responds saying 'Yes, this is the picture of Ajmal Kasab Rehmatullah Aleh (Ajmal Kasab, may god bless his soul)'.
- Before attacks two options were discussed -- where the attackers will stay and fight till death and egress - where attackers will aim to leave target location.
- After 26/11 terror attack, al-Qaeda leader Ilyas Kashmiri asked him to go to India again as they were also interested in carrying out terror activities in India.
- Headley says Ilyas Kashmiri asked him to recce National Defence College in Delhi as it was a primary target for al-Qaeda.