Deadline For Finalisation of Assam NRC Will Not be Extended, Says SC
The draft of National Register of Citizens in Assam was published on July 30, 2018 in which the names of 2.89 crore of the 3.29 crore people were included.
A file photo of the Supreme Court. (PTI)
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Wednesday on made it clear that it will not extend the July 31 deadline for finalisation of the National Register of Citizens (NRC) in Assam.
A bench comprising Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi and Justice R F Nariman also gave a "free hand" to Prateek Hajela, Assam NRC coordinator dealing with claims and objections of persons against wrong exclusion or inclusion of citizens in the NRC.
The direction came after Hajela informed the bench that many persons, who had objected to inclusion of certain individuals in the draft NRC are not coming forward before panels which are dealing with such complaints.
The draft Assam NRC was published on July 30, 2018 in which the names of 2.89 crore of the 3.29 crore people were included. The names of 40,70,707 people did not figure in the list. Of these, 37,59,630 names have been rejected and the remaining 2,48,077 are on hold.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Trailers This Week: Vijay, Atlee's Bigil Impresses Shah Rukh Khan
- Pune Electric Bus Seen Charging Through a Generator – That Runs on Diesel: Watch Video
- Facebook Friends Who Met for the First Time During Durga Puja Get Married in 4 Hours
- A 'Seven-Headed' Snake Skin Discovered Near Bengaluru Has Left Locals Curious
- Nokia 6.2 Launched in India at Rs 15,999: Everything You Need to Know