Defective Soda Machine Kills Two McDonald's Workers in Peru , Prompts Chain to Close 29 Stores
Carlos Campos, 19, and Alexandra Porrasa, 18, were electrocuted because of the defective machine on December 15 as they cleaned the fast-food restaurant in Lima's Pueblo Libre district.
Image for Representation.
Lima: A defective soda vending machine was responsible for the deaths of two McDonald's cleaners in Peru, the general manager for the Lima franchise told a local news station. Carlos Campos, 19, and Alexandra Porrasa, 18, died late on December 15 as they cleaned the fast-food restaurant in Lima's Pueblo Libre district.
Police had said Monday the two were electrocuted. Since the deaths, the chain has closed its 29 stores throughout the country, while the police and the prosecution investigate.
"Twenty-four hours before (the accident) it was already known that the machine had problems (...)," Jose Carlos Andrade, the general director of Arcos Dorados, the owner of the McDonald's franchise in Peru, told television channel N on Saturday.
"This has hit us all very hard and we are working hard to review all our processes, all our protocols, to ensure such a thing does not happen again," he told the local station.
The company confirmed the soda machine would not be used in future.
The deaths prompted Peruvian President Martin Vizcarra to announce a bill to strengthen job security, as demonstrators rallied peacefully Saturday against labour abuses for the second time in a week.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- PUBG Addiction: 25-Year-Old Suffers Brain Stroke While Playing Game, Dies
- Nakuul Mehta on How He Finds 'Never Kiss Your Best Friend' Relatable
- Amazon Great Indian Sale: Buy This Samsung 55-inch 4K TV For as Low As Rs 29500
- US Congresswoman Ayanna Pressley Becomes an Inspiration to All With Her Powerful Hair Loss Story
- Airtel Thanks Offering Users Two-Day Early Access to Big Bazaar 'Sabse Sasta' Sale