New Delhi: A 35-year-old man was injured after his throat was slit by glass-coated kite thread in Paschim Vihar here while he was returning home with his wife and daughter on a scooter, police said on Sunday.
After celebrating Rakshabandhan on Thursday, Raman Oberoi, a resident of Shah Nagar, was going to Rohini with this family when a kite string got entangled around his neck and slit his throat, they said.
Oberoi fell on the roadside and some bystanders rushed him to a nearby hospital, police said, adding that he was later admitted to the Deen Dayal Upadhyay Hospital.
According to police, Oberoi was not wearing a helmet at the time of the incident. A case has been registered at the Paschim Vihar (west) police station under IPC section 336 (endangering life).
In the same area, a civil engineer died after his throat was slit by a kite string on Thursday. Manav Sharma, 28, and his two younger sisters were en route to Hari Nagar on his scooter to meet their aunt when the incident happened.
On Thursday, the Delhi police received 15 calls relating to Chinese 'manjha'. According to a Supreme Court directive, there is a nationwide ban on the procurement, sale and use of glass powder-coated 'manjha' and other dangerous kite strings.