Delhi Police Constable Suspended for Damaging Vegetable Carts During Coronavirus Lockdown
The order came a day after a video of the incident went viral on social media. In the short clip, the constable can be seen overturning three vegetable carts one by one.
A policeman removes air from the tyre of a labourer carrying vegetables to dissuade people from crowding outside a market during a 21-day nationwide lockdown to limit the spreading of coronavirus disease (COVID-19), in the old quarters of Delhi. (Reuters)
New Delhi: A Delhi Police constable posted in the central district was suspended on Thursday for allegedly damaging vegetable carts during the lockdown imposed in view of the coronavirus outbreak, officials said.
The constable has been identified as Rajbir. He was posted at Anand Parbat Police Station, they said.
The order came a day after a video of the incident went viral on social media.
In the short clip, the constable can be seen overturning three vegetable carts one by one.
According to the police, the video surfaced online on Wednesday, following which the constable was suspended on Thursday.
On Wednesday, Police Commissioner S N Shrivastava asked on-duty officials that he had received reports of "misconduct" by some personnel with essential services staffers.
"I urge police personnel to use masks and sanitisers regularly and maintain social distancing during their duties. We have heard about the misconduct of police during checking. There would be no hustle during checking of essential services staff such as doctors and home delivery agents," Shrivastava had said.
Support the daily wage earners who have been hit the hardest by the COVID-19 crisis. Click here to contribute to the cause. #IndiaGives
The daily News18 Coronavirus COVID-19 newsletter - Get your copy here.
Recommended For You
- Angrezi Medium Starring Irrfan, Kareena Kapoor and Radhika Madan Re-released on Streaming Platform
- Stanford Couple Says 'I Do' in Make-Shift 'Wedding' with 5 Guests and amid Coronavirus Lockdown
- How Omar Abdullah Made Article 370 'Trend Again' After His Tweet on Coronavirus
- Coronavirus Can be Stopped in 48 Hours Using a Simple Anti-Parasitic Drug: Monash University
- Kaka Chooses Lionel Messi Over Cristiano Ronaldo, Calls Argentine 'Genius, Pure Talent'