Did Hurriyat Leader Geelani Receive Lashkar Funds? NIA Launches Probe
The others named in the PE are Naeem Khan, Farooq Ahmed Dar alias 'Bitta Karate' and Gazi Javed Baba of Tehreek-e-Hurriyat
File photo of Hurriyat leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani (File Photo: PTI)
New Delhi: The National Investigation Agency (NIA) on Friday registered a Preliminary Enquiry (PE) against hardline Kashmiri separatist leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani and others for alleged involvement in subversive activities and receiving funds from LeT chief Hafiz Saeed.
The others named in the PE are Naeem Khan, who was seen on television during a sting operation purportedly confessing to receiving money from Pakistan-based terror groups, Farooq Ahmed Dar alias 'Bitta Karate' and Gazi Javed Baba of Tehreek-e-Hurriyat, an NIA spokesman told PTI.
The separatists were receiving funds from chief of Pakistan-based Lashker-e-Taiba (LeT) Hafiz Saeed to carry out subversive activities in the Kashmir Valley, including pelting stones at security forces, damaging public property and burning schools and other government establishments, the spokesman alleged.
The NIA has also taken cognizance of the news report related to the recording of conversations between a TV reporter and leaders of separatist groups operating in the Kashmir Valley in this regard, he said.
(With PTI inputs)
Recommended For You
- Lalit Modi Forecasts IPL Players Will Earn '$1 Million a Game'
- Badumbaaa: Big B, Rishi Kapoor Turn Singers To Take You On A Jolly Ride In 102 Not Out First Song
- Throwback Thursday: When Sanjay Dutt Said He'd Marry Madhuri Dixit If Given an Option
- Throwback Thursday: When Aishwarya Rai's Response To 'If She Still Lives With Her Parents' Won Hearts
- India Loses USD 22 Billion a Year in Peak Traffic Hours in 4 Indian Cities: Uber